MM- The Price of Running

Monday, July 28, 2014

Running always appealed to me because you don't need a gym, a special location, or even equipment. All you need is a pair of sneakers. Right?
My dad was a big runner awhile back. He tells me stories about the sneakers he had that he wore bare and how you can run forever on a pair of good sneakers. Running can definitely be a very inexpensive past time and activity but there is another side to it as well!
This week I have spent a lot of time planning my trip to NYC. The trip planning made me think about the price I am paying for this training and race. I am going on the bare minimum side but money can be spent in this industry!
Running this race the frugal way will end up costing me over $1500. I am already on my second pair of sneakers. I invested in some comfortable running clothes. The race registration was $300. A plane ticket there.  That is the frugal way too. I am not paying for a hotel in NY. I don't buy top of the line running clothing and accessories. I am not doing any training programs or running clubs. I am not even racing any 5ks or 10ks as part of my training. And I am not getting massages.
For me the price I am paying for this race is worth every penny. I needed this race to push me out of my comfort zone and to make me work. Training for the race has also been the best therapy I have ever had and I am sure it is the cheapest out there.
Truly to run, all you need is a pair of decent sneakers. You don't need races or top of the line anything. But it does have the potential to be very expensive if you let it be. I encourage everyone to put on an old par of sneakers, step out the front door and go for a jog. If it grow on you, I encourage you to feed the passion by investing a bit of money into to great shoes, some nice running clothes, and a race that you have always thought you would never be able to do. The rewards that running gives back makes the cost seem like the best deal in the world!
Marathon Gratitude via @Rachel Steffen   I dare you to train for a marathon and not have it change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment