Activity and Recipe- Puddle Jumping and Oatmeal Bar

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I woke up this morning to rain and cool temperatures. While I was running in the rain and splashing through puddles, it brought me back to my childhood. I felt like a kid. It was so much fun to play in the rain, come back from a run soaked and muddy, and feel completely refreshed. Maybe because we don't get much rain here it was refreshing. When I came home from my run, I encouraged the kids to play in the rain, get as wet as possible, and splash in the mud. They kind of looked at me like I was crazy because I do not promote messes. They had the time of their life. It was something different and fun. Next time you have a rainy day, I encourage you head outside and play in the rain with your kids. If you don't have kids, exercise in the rain. There is something about it that brings you back to your childhood. Many times rainy days can easily be turned into minimal activity days spent on the couch. it's nice to get some of that energy out too!
After some fun time in the rain, we were all hungry. Oatmeal is comforting for breakfast and can be fast and simple and a better choice than cereal. Oatmeal has become our go to breakfast for mornings when we are in a rush. Once upon a time I bought oatmeal packets that were loaded with sugar but I have learned to make my own and tweak it to be healthy and the kids have never complained.
We use quick oats that can be microwaved. Each kid likes it differently so I make them individual bowls with different add ins. Everyone gets oats with vanilla almond milk. Then they have a choice, One of our favorite is apples and cinnamon. I just cut up some apple chunks and add cinnamon. We also like to add a banana and fresh or frozen berries. I mix the oats, almond milk, and add ins and microwave it for 2 or 3 minutes. I usually use 1/2 cup of oats and 1 cup of almond milk for each  which is more than enough. I never add honey initially but if the kids ask after they start eating it, I give them a squirt. Sometimes the fruit is sweet enough and they don't notice!
 Slow-cooker banana nut oatmeal - YUM!!   10 Healthy Breakfast Recipes For More Energetic Mornings | Brit + Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment