Failures

Sunday, July 27, 2014

As a beachbody coach, there has been a lot of talk about failing in our community. We all need to fail in order to truly succeed. This statement has really stuck with me and has made me reflect upon my failures in life as well as my success. Failure holds me back from so many things. It not the actual failure but more the fear of failing that holds me back. This fear of failure goes hand and hand with a lack of confidence. If I truly put myself out there, I may fail. I can't fail so I won't put myself out there.
I have spent a lot of time thinking about this which then makes me think of all the times I have failed. I fail at something on a daily basis and I have had big failures in life. But because of the daily failures and the big failures, I have been able to learn and grow so much. If I didn't have those failures, I wouldn't be doing what I am doing today.
In second grade, I struggled with reading and failed the grade. Because of this failure, reading has become my favorite subject to teach and I love to spend time with the struggling readers and take pride in teaching them to be confident readers.
I almost failed out of college my freshman year. I was put on academic probation with a 1.6 GPA. Because of this failure, I ended up graduating college in 3.5 years with a 3.5 GPA.
Last year, I competed in the Tough Mudder. I was not able to do the monkey bars on the course. I didn't have enough upper body strength and was really disappointed. I cut corners while training and didn't train hard enough. I went back to the gym and lifted harder than ever and really pushed myself. Because of that, I can do 5 real pull ups in a row without any assistance and can do the monkey bars at every playground I visit.
Upon my reflection, I realize that  a fear of failure is silly. Failure makes us who we are and pushes us even harder. If we don't put ourselves out there and continue to second guess ourselves than we will never really know what could have been and we will never learn and grow.
My goal is to act upon my ideas, put my thoughts into action, and go for it. This is a message that I teach my children and students multiple times a day and need to start applying to myself!
Every time I do a pullup, it is a reminder of how I turned a failure into success!

No comments:

Post a Comment