MM-A Bad Run

Monday, July 14, 2014

Last week, I came to the realization that not all runs can be good runs and that even though I would like them all to be good, there is so much to be learned from the bad runs. I felt pressure to fit my long run in even though I wasn't really ready for it physically. Because of my schedule, I fit my long run in prematurely and it didn't mesh with my lifting schedule. I have learned already during this training that I have to let my legs fully recoup after lifting them  before I go on a long run. But it took me a second time of lifting legs the day before  a long run to really understand this concept.
I went out for a 16 mile run. After mile two, my legs were already dead and sore. I should have listened to my body and postponed my long run but I kept going. It was at this point that I realized I am much stronger mentally than I am physically and this can really hurt me in the long run.
I ended up getting 14 miles in by justifying to myself the whole run. I knew I had a few days ahead of me that I could take it easy so even if I pushed myself through discomfort, it would be ok. Yes, after doing this, I realize how stupid that is and how fortunate I am that I have not injured myself so far.
Even though this run was painful and disappointing, I learned so much about myself and my running through it. For the rest of the training, I vow to listen to my body more and make running the priority physically.





No comments:

Post a Comment