MM- Intentional Training

Monday, July 21, 2014

This last week was my best week of training yet which led to my best long run. I took my bad run  and let it motivate me and guide my training for last week. I read an article about RAF (run as you feel) running. The article emphasized that it is good to run as you feel every once and awhile and not let your pace or watch dictate all of your runs. Well after reading this, it dawned on me that the majority of my runs were RAF runs. I went into this training with an idea of enjoying each run, making my runs therapeutic, and finishing the marathon in a better than average time.
Last week, I brought my watch with me and I kept track of my splits and my breathing to make sure I was pushing myself. This intentional training allowed me to get my split training time between an 8 and 9 on each mile. What I noticed the most was my breathing. It changed significantly because I was really pushing myself. Before I was keeping track of this, my splits were more in the 10/11 minute range and my breathing was not hard of difficult at all. I really haven't been pushing myself during this training but more got into the habit of clocking miles. 
With my intentional running, I was also intetnional at the gym with my weigthlifting. I also listented to my body, stretched, and concentrated on proper nutrition.
All of these factors led me to my best long run yet!  Not only was it the longest run yet, but it was also my fastest long run yet. I also felt great mentally and physically. And the best thing about this run is that I felt like I could keep going after mile 16.
This marathon training is the best thing I have done for myself and also the worst thing. It is hard! I am pushing myself to my limits. I am learning from mistakes. I am turning bad into good. This is what I found out by running cross country with anxiety issues. It was a constant battle between my mind, body, and the environment..just like any other runner would say. But with the anxiety....completing those miles meant so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment