MM- Finding the balance and rhythm

Monday, June 16, 2014

I have come to the point in my training where I realize that something has to give. I have been strength training for a couple of years now and as much as I would like to continue to do it with my marathon training, I am starting to realize that I can't do both the way I am doing them. They are counterproductive. This is something I have known for awhile but I was trying to hold on to it as long as I could. My long run last week was incredibly slow for me and my legs were dead on it. I have been sore at the gym and finally strained a muscle this week while squatting. My short runs even started to slow down and became less enjoyable because my body was just tired and tight and sore.
I have decided that I am not going to give up lifting because I really enjoy it and love how my body has transformed. I like having muscles and definition.
My running obviously has to be the priority since I am training for something and I don't want to do it just to do it or get hurt during the process. I feel like I have a good grasp of the running training and will continue to run as I have. As far as lifting, I plan on doing much more body weight workouts and more reps with less weight at the gym. I need to check in and see how this approach works with my runs. I am hoping I can make it work by just cutting back and tweaking the weights. The last thing I want in this whole process is to get hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment