MM- Appreicate every run

Monday, June 9, 2014

This is my dad's 9th summer visiting us. Since having Ella, he has come out to Colorado to visit every summer. Some of my best time spent with my dad has been during these summers. As I became a parent and he became a grandparent, our relationship has changed and developed.
Before these summer visits, I had never run with my dad before. My dad was a runner for quite some time. I think he even was a decent runner. At least he tells us he was and how he won races. I remember hearing stories about watching him race the Boston Marathon because I got lost in the Prudential Center. I ran cross country in high school and began running again after college and ran a few big races. During this time, I never ran with my dad.
When my dad first came out to visit me, Ella was about 8 months old. We went for our first run together pushing her in her jogging stroller. Every year after, we would run together. The running changed as the single stroller became a double and then we added a bike rider to the mix as the third child joined us. For the last nine summers, my dad has told me you never know when the last run together will come so we need to enjoy the experience. It didn't mean anything to me when he first started saying it. That time was a long time away.
Last year, my dad injured his knee. On his visit last summer. We really didn't run. However, he ran with Ella quite a few times. I cherished this experience even more than my time running with him. I thought it was pretty great for her to run with her grandfather. Ella always reported back the things they talked about and what she learned-like how to blow her snots out while running.
I may have eeked in a run/walk with him last year but I remember coming to the realization that the last run had come. It was difficult for me to realize that. It was also at that time that I realized how great those runs were and how much I cherished them.
Today we had an encore run! I was working in the yard and Ella told me Grandpa was going on a run. I told her she and her sister had to go too. Then Tate was invited to be pushed in the stroller and he accepted. They all took off. As I watched them head down the road, I realized that this was such a nice experience and I wanted to be part of it too. I joined them. While running with them, I realized that this truly may be our last run and I appreciated the experience. This experience and time has morphed so much over the years. All of the kids have been pushed along and today 2 out of 3 were able to run with him. I hope he can hang in for one more year so Tate can run with him too.

No comments:

Post a Comment