Marathon Monday- Finding the time

Monday, May 5, 2014

When people talk about working out, the biggest complaint seems to be about time. There just isn't enough time in the day for everything and, unfortunately, workouts are usually the first thing cut out. It doesn't have to be that way though. And fitting those workouts in can relieve so much stress and give you some much needed you time to manage all that other stuff.
Over the last month, I have been able to fit an average of 30 miles/week in, lift 4-5 times a week for an hour, do a fitness club with coworkers, teach full time, run a house and family, and have my husband gone on over time and regular work more than he has been home. We also have the activities of three kids to manage and all of that homework and those house/yard spring projects.
It can be done and I don't find myself cutting out anything I truly miss. My days are busy and I don't stop much, but it can be done.
I think an important step is to sign up for a competition. These days, it seems like any race or event you sign up for costs a ton. Having that date on the calendar is really going to push you and motivate you.
Be flexible. Although there is an ideal time to run and work out. When you are balancing everything, you don't always get to do it at the ideal time. Sometimes I run at 5:00am, other times my run doesn't get fit in until after dinner at 7:00pm. My best runs aren't when I have a full stomach. But I still get the miles in and feel better for it!
Think of idle time and figure out how to incorporate workouts in to it. My time was during soccer practice. I am stuck at a park for an hour. I take advantage of that time and run around the park or do circuits. I still get to watch the kids practice but I get my workout in.
Don't have a workout schedule but have goals. My goals are to get 4 listing workouts in a week and have one day for a long run, and run at least three miles on all the other days. Ideally, it would be nice to devote Sundays to my long runs but with my husbands work schedule, I can't commit to that each week. Some weeks it will be on Saturdays and others on Mondays but I will still get that long run in. It would be nice to lift 2 days, take a day off and lift 2 more. But again life gets in the way so sometimes it is 4 days in a row.
Don't stress about it. Know that workouts aren't always going to go according to plan. But don't stress out about it and forgive yourself as long as they eventually balance each other out.
Split workouts up. Sometimes, I will be able squeeze 2 mile sin to one part of my day and another 2 into a later part of my day. It's ok as long as I get one uninterrupted long run in each week.
If the desire and commitment are there, the time is available!

No comments:

Post a Comment