approaching the half way mark

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Tomorrow will be the half way mark for my 10 day sugar free challenge. Half way through, I wanted to share my feelings. There are a couple of things that I have noticed. I don't think my body went into shock or had huge withdrawals because I really didn't eat a ton of sugar to begin with. It was hidden in foods I ate and I definitely consumed some sugar on a daily basis but I wasn't eating candy and desserts or drinking sugary beverages.
 First, I am sleeping better at night than I have in a really long time. I feel I fall asleep really quickly and sleep solidly through the night. I have always been a light sleeper and find myself tossing and turning a lot at night but that hasn't been the case the last few nights. The first three days, I felt pretty lethargic during the day. Today was the first day that I didn't feel that way. I was really energized and still am.
My appetite has changed. I find myself eating less and eating smaller portions throughout the day. I am more conscious about being full. This to me seems weird but if sugar is addictive I guess this could make sense.
I am also eating a lot of fruit- not because I crave the sweets but I do snack and cutting out the processed snacks, that is what I am left with. I am glad that I took this challenge on! I look forward to what the second half brings.

Favorite sweet snacks and treats

Frozen bananas- plain or sliced with almond butter

Paleo Fudge- 1 cup almond butter, 1/3 cup melted coconut oil, 2 tbsp. chia seed, 1 tbsp. cocoa powder mix, put in wax paper lined pan, freeze






fruit and nut balls-  1 cup almond flour, 1 cup dried dates or apricots, 1/3 cup coconut flakes, 1 tbsp. chia seeds, 1 tbs. cocoa powder if desired. Put all ingredients in a food processor. Once mixed roll into balls. Store in the refrigerator.
 Download photo.JPG (47.5 KB)

popcorn- pop your own or make sure there aren't any added ingredients. I like mine with coconut oil and a little salt.

Just Fruit- dried fruits

cacao nibs

almonds
Can make your own trail mix with the above

cottage cheese with fruit

smoothies- skip adding yogurt and just use fruits

fresh squeezed juices- orange carrot has been a favorite combination


1 comment: