Kids Movement

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I am so very fortunate to work at a school and in a district where movement is still a huge priority for children. I have heard so many stories where recess and PE are being cut or reduced in school schedules. This year, my school focused on movement. Classroom teachers incorporated 30 minutes of movement into their daily schedules and we held school wide movement once a week as well as participated in the 100 Mile Club school wide this year. As the year is coming to an end, I have the opportunity to reflect on the year as both a teacher and a parent. I have seen the research in the past that connects achievement and behavior with movement and this year I was able to live it.
A highlight for me as a teach and parent at my school was the 100 Mile Club. I saw my students set goals, physically improve, build endurance, and develop bonds through this club. As a mom, I was able to run with my daughters and share my passion with them. It was such an amazing way to start the school day. I learned this year that my 8 year old will tell me all the world's problems and joys on runs.
Last week, the running came to an end for the school year and each child and teacher was recognized for their accomplishments. The smiles on the kids faces and the excitement to attain even more goals next year was amazing. I encourage everyone to implement this club at your child's school or even at your workplace. If it is not a possibility, I encourage you to get moving with your children! It is amazing to see the positive relationships, academic achievement, and health benefits!
Download photo 1.JPG (33.7 KB)        100mileclub.com

A very special thank you to our fabulous PE teachers for bringing this program to our school and all the work they put into making it what it became! 

Download photo 3.JPG (29.5 KB)

No comments:

Post a Comment