Activity and Recipe- Park workout and apple sandwiches

Thursday, May 1, 2014

My kids love to go to the park! It is interesting to watch what other parents do at the park. Some hover over their kids ready to catch every fall, others sit on the bench and are completely engrossed in their phones, some hang out with other parents, and others play with their kids. I have done all of the above.
As my kids got older and were able to play with each other and more independently, I found my involvement to be less and less at the park. It's not that my kids don't want me to play with them, they just don't need me to anymore.
Now that it is spring and we are spending more and more time at the park, I have decided to join in their play time again or use the playground equipment to get a bonus workout in.
Some days we just simply play tag or groundies together. Running around, sneaking past, and climbing all over the play ground can be a simple workout in itself. Other days, I actually do a full body work out using the equipment. I can do inverted push ups, pull ups, side steps, ladder squats, handstand push ups, monkey bars, box jumps, dips, hanging leg lifts, lunges and push ups on the swings and of course cardio. It's a great way to get fresh air and make everyone in the family happy!

Next time you go to the park with your kids, play just like a kid. Have fun and get an extra work out it. Play tag or complete an obstacle course on the play equipment. Children of all ages will have fun!


Apple Sandwich snack for after the park

Core an apple
Slice apples into 1-2 inch slices.
spread peanut butter or almond butter on apple slices
top with raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, honey or sprinkles. 
1 apple can usually be shared between 2 or us

We like to eat our as "open faced sandwiches" but you can top with another apple.
peanut butter apple sandwiches

No comments:

Post a Comment