A number we are obsessed with

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Our weight is really just  a number! It is hard to accept that but it really is just a number. It doesn't define us or what we look like even though we think it does. At the beginning of my fitness journey, the number on the scale was what drove me to push harder and is what measured my progress and defined my results. It has taken a long time but I have come to peace with the fact that it really is just a number. If you look at me, you might have a really hard time guessing how much I weigh. Then someone that has the same weight as me, may look completely different than I do. Heck, my weight even fluctuates by up to 5 pounds on any given day.
Slowly but surely, I have learned to stay away from the scale and not pay attention to the average number or the ups and downs of a few pounds through out the day. I measure my fitness success by the way I feel, the way my clothes fit, the image the mirror presents to me, and the increase in strength I have gained.
It really is a remarkable feeling to let go of that number on the scale.
It took me many years and I came to peace with it while looking at pictures and realizing how different I looked and felt at different stages of my life when I was essentially the same weight as I am today when I am in the best shape I have ever been in and look the best I have ever been and am the strongest I have ever been.
Hide the scale for a while and base your success and progress off of how you feel, how your clothes fit and measurements. It is very liberating.
And go ahead take a guess at how much I weigh in each picture!
In all of these pictures taken from last March until 2 weeks ago I weigh between 126 and 132 pounds. My lowest weight was in the center after the 3 day refresh and I maintained that weight my first month of Insanity Max. You would probably be shocked to know after increasing the intensity and working even harder, I am actually back up to 130 now. Am I freaking out? No, not at all because I am fittign in smaller clothes and I am working out harder than ever and I love the way my body looks and feels. Don't get caught up in the number! It is just a number! I love the fat/muscle comparison! That speaks louder than a number I read on a scale that can shift so much in 1 day alone!


Nina Pears

No comments:

Post a Comment