Marathon Monday 50% mental 50% physical

Monday, September 8, 2014

Marathon training is a constant battle to get a mental/physical balance. I think the key to success is finding that perfect balance between the two. I have also found that it is very rare to complete a run where the two are in complete balance...especially a long run!
I tend to get a little grumpy leading up to my long runs. I think this is because I am trying to get in the right frame of mind. Sometimes I don't feel like running and I force myself to because I have to get the miles in. Usually, as I settle into a run, I am am able to change that mental state because I enjoy it once I start and am able to tune out all of life distractions. 
Sometimes I am spot on mentally when it comes to my run. I have a strategy for my run, mentally I am strong to make it a great run and I am ready. Other times I am mentally there and have the attitude that the run will be what it will be and I will just enjoy it. I go through all of these mental running states on a weekly basis. I am never consistent with my mental running states there are so many factors that determine it and sometimes I just think too much. I can usually always turn my mental state into what I need it to be during a run though.
My physical state is out of my control to some degree. I can take care of my body and be smart but while on a run, I can't prevent aches and pains and blisters. Some days I feel amazing physically and my body tells me to go faster and further. Other days I start running and feel like I am running in place or in quick sand. Some days my legs feel fresh and light and other days they weigh a ton. 
The perfect run is a balance of these two. The mind can over power the body to some degree and the body can change the mind at times too. There needs to be balance. The mind needs to be ready and positive for the run. It needs to over power the body and be smart and in tune. The body needs to be strong and steady and needs to support the state of mind. 
I am more mentally strong than I am physically. My mind can push me through a lot but at times I need to stop and listen to my body. My mind will get me and my body through this training and this race. My body will remind my mind that I can keep going and go faster and recover!
I am training for that perfect balance between the mind and body! 

No comments:

Post a Comment