Meal Planning Food Prep

Sunday, March 8, 2015


Up until about a month ago, I had no idea how to meal plan and food prep. I also was not aware of the positive impact it would have on my life. Why didn't I even attempt to do it? I didn't have the time! Little did I knwo how much time I would make up on the initial investment put in once or twice a week.
To give you a little background about myself, I am a full time teacher (not a typical 9-5 job by any means), I have 3 children (4, 6, 9), my husband is a firefighter who is gone at least 72 hours a week and always 48 straight hours, all of my kids are in activities, we spend a lot of time in the car, I am a fitness coach, and workout and run every day! To say I am a little bit busy is an understatement! I didn't think I had time for meal planning and prep!
A month ago, I started a new fitness program and to follow the nutrition plan, I knew I had to plan and prep other wise I would fail miserable and I have always failed the nutrition plan in the past. So I dedicated a day to it! To my surprise planning and prep didn't as long as I thought it would. I spent a couple of hours figuring out what I could eat, planning, and then actually cooking. Over the course of the month, I have mastered a system and I can do the majority of my prep in an hour. I always pre-make my staples and plan on spending some time replenishing the staples mid week. I like food as fresh as possible to I prep the food twice a week. I also consider my schedule when prepping. I always make sure I have dinner options mostly made for the nights that we won't get home until 7 so I can quickly put it together or have something that can be packed for a meal on the go. For the nights I know I will be home, I have a dinner planned that I will make fresh for us.
This hour investment on Sundays has saved me so much time, frustration, and money during the week and has set me up for success to be as healthy as possible and to stay on track! I wish I had learned this when I first had kids!
So what are my staples- ground turkey, shredded chicken, soup/stew, hard boiled eggs, steamed veggies, shakeology, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and carrots. The ground turkey and shredded chicken can be used by itself for lunches and can be made into so many things for dinner on the go or a quick fix when we are gone for 12 straight hours some days.
I am never left with the desperation to eat out or get fast food. I eat 100% clean and the kids eat 90% clean.
I would love to share my tips and tricks and meal plans if it would help you!

Before shopping for the week

Meal prep is done for a family of 5!


Nina Pears

1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear your tips and tricks! I have a 6 month old, and meal prep is something I HAVE to master :)

    ReplyDelete