A runners Confession

Friday, March 6, 2015

I truly became a runner last year. I ran every day for over 250 days. Not one day off! I trained for a marathon. I set goals and reevaluated and set new goals. I trained for my first marathon and grew so much during that experience. I ran my first marathon and it was life changing. I over came challenges and grew so much. I found peace in running and got to know myself and learned so much about myself. I vowed to not let go of running after my race and to make it a part of my life every day here on out.
I didn't want to ease up on my running because I was afraid of losing what I had gained. I was afraid of starting all over again.
I didn't think I liked running in the cold and the winter but I realized I never really gave it a chance. After running in the cold and the snow, it wasn't all that bad. It was calming and peaceful and fresh.
There was no reason for me to stop running. I held on.
Then I had a personal battle. My mind was telling me to keep going and to not think about it and just run but then during my runs, I just couldn't wait for them to be over with. I wasn't enjoying my runs and I was just running to run. Counting the miles and taking short cuts and just getting my run in to say I ran.
I didn't realize this was going on at the time. I blamed it on my excuses- the weather, no time, so busy, my other workouts.
As a fitness coach, I tell people there are no such thing as excuses. Get rid of them and just do it.
So I would run. I just did it and then I didn't one day and then that day turned into a few and then all of a sudden 3 weeks went by.
And then today, I wasn't planning on running but I did. I had a desire to. I had that urge again where I couldn't' go on with the rest of my day until I ran. I enjoyed every step and every breath. I was not counting my steps and waiting to get back home. I was wanting to go further and to run faster.
What I learned from this is that it is great to take a break when something becomes tedious. It doesn't mean you are failing. It doesn't mean you are giving up. It makes you miss it and want it and remember why you do it. Starting over isn't so bad. I can't go run a marathon tomorrow but I can train again and enjoy every day of my training and have so much growth again.


Nina Pears

No comments:

Post a Comment