WHITE HOUSE HEALTHY MENU FOR KIDS

Friday, July 29, 2011

Last week while I was at the gym working out, I caught a clip on the Today Show featuring the chef from the White House. She was challenged to make a healthy picnic lunch for children. I really liked some of her ideas. I have tried some and also made my own versions of some things.

Here is the segment form the today show-http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43845364/ns/today-food/t/white-house-chef-shares-healthy-salad-pie-recipes/from/toolbar

I really liked the idea of putting the grapes into the green salad. I think kids generally like foods better if they can find a subtle sweetness in them. I really love the fruit pocket pies. What a simple healthy version of a junk food. We have always made sweet potato fries and have never really fried them-we just bake them and do not bread them at all. We just slice up sweet potatoes, season them and then bake them.
After being inspired about eating right from the garden, I realized we had a surplus of zucchini and decided to make zucchini fries. It was a total experiment. I soaked the zucchini slices in egg, then in spelt flour, sauteed them and then baked them. They were good when dipped in marinara sauce. I have not tried the carrot drink yet but really want to.

I love the direction the first lady is going in with the emphasis on healthy eating and childhood obesity. I hope it makes an impact on our nation and more and more people have a desire to eat healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment