You CAN have your cake and eat it too!

Thursday, July 7, 2011

We have been doing this gluten free-sugar free diet for awhile now. It is much easier than I thought it would be! I feel much better, I know I am eating much better, and it is fun exploring different recipes and food. I have experimented with different types of flours and have found favorites for different recipes. Morgan loves promoting this life style to other people and thinks this way of eating is the greatest. Maya pretty much eats a 100% gluten free diet and Ella probably eats a 75% gluten free diet. Both of them eat a very minimal amount of sugar. When they are at a friend’s house or event, I try to encourage them to make good choices but I do give them the freedom to have what they want. Ella sometimes gets a stomach ache after she splurges which makes her more conscience the next time.
Morgan's favorite recipe that I make is a sugar free-gluten free chocolate cake recipe. For this recipe I use spelt flour. I know spelt flour is controversial whether it is gluten free or not but I use it because I know many people that have gluten allergies and are able to tolerate Spelt. I also make strawberry preserves. I top each slice with a bit of the preserves and it is delicious!
Chocolate Cake
1 1/2 cups Stevia
1 3/4 cups spelt flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter or oil
1 cup boiling water

Mix it all together and bake for 30 mins at 350
degrees

Strawberry Preserves
16 oz strawberries
1 lemon
1/4 cup agave

Cut the strawberries into small pieces add the juice of the lemon and agave into a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then cook over medium heat for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment