Active under 5

Saturday, July 16, 2011

I wanted to share this article that I recently read on fighting obesity and the importance of physical activity in children under 5. The article talks about the importance of exercise in children under 5 even if the kids are not yet walking. I remember hearing people wondering what it would be like to mimic a child's movement all day long. Following most children, that just sounds exhausting. It seems like I have to beg my children to sit still for more than 5 minutes. However, in a child's typical day, 3 hours can be a long time to be active if you include sitting at a desk in school for 6 hours, meals, homework, and driving. Those are all activities that happen on a daily basis but can't be avoided. Our busy hectic lives as parents has trickled down to our children. With this being said, as a teacher I know the importance of incorporating movement into my classroom. I find that children behave and learn better when they are free to move around and get wiggles out. As a parent. I understand the importance of taking walks or bike rides after dinner. Even park play can be very physical. If anything, I think we need to be aware of this and try our hardest to incorporate as much physical activity into our days as we can. Not only for our children but for us to. Obesity can be a huge struggle that is very hard to overcome.
http://www.9news.com/news/article/207458/188/To-fight-obesity-even-babies-should-exercise-

No comments:

Post a Comment