The first of many...

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Last night we reached a couple of milestones at our house. Ella had her first real sleepover at her friend's house. All summer long, she has been asking to go on a sleepover and we have discussed that she is too young and needs to be invited on one. Yesterday, she got the invitation and I felt that it was the right time and with the right people. So off she went. Before leaving us, Ella was realizing she had never been a night a part from us. But she was brave and had the time of her life. I realized that she is growing up way too fast and this was the beginning of sleep overs. Seeing the smile on her face when we picked her up and hearing the excitement in her voice while telling stories of her sleepover make me so proud and happy for her! It made me think back to my childhood friendships and sleepless sleepovers. To be a kid again...
With Ella being gone, we thought it was important for Maya to have a special night as well. She had a dinner and a movie date with her best boy friend as she calls him. We had breakfast for dinner at our house and then they ran across the street to his house for a movie. Maya thought that was the coolest thing and she enjoyed not being in her sister's shadow- even if it was just for a night. Tate enjoyed the undivided attention of two parents for one of the few times in his life.
While going to bed last night, Morgan asked me if I ever wonder what our children will think of us when  they are grown ups. Ya know how we all have ideas of how our parents raised us. Why did they make us do that? Why didn't they let us do this? Why in the world did they let us leave the house wearing that? There are the endless questions and I think children are probably the harshest critics of their own parents.  I told Morgan it was nights like last night that I hope my children remember- us giving them the freedom to be kids and have fun as well as us giving them endless opportunities and exposure to new things. I think we do  a pretty good job recognizing the whole child and each of the three as individuals. I know we aren't perfect parents but we try and love them each and thats all that matters. Hopefully that will be what they reflect on 20 years from now!

No comments:

Post a Comment