Pass on the Pasta

Sunday, May 15, 2011

I find myself and my entire family very fortunate to not have any food allergies. It seems that just about everybody is allergic to something these days. Gluten is a huge one. I have known many people who have had to eat gluten free due to an allergy. I always felt so bad for these people. What in the world do they eat and boy are they missing out. I have always been a huge pasta and bread eater. Bakeries are one of my very favorite places to visit!
Lately, I have been researching different diets- not diets to lose weight but diets that become a healthy way of life. Everyone that has eliminated gluten from their diets seem to feel better. I have also read some articles on this topic. I thought  a gluten free diet would be almost impossible for me to go on. But I have always liked a challenge. My family is a week and a half into a gluten free diet right now. We have also eliminated all sugars except natural sugars.
I have to say that it is easier than I thought it would be. I find that we are snacking on fresh fruits, veggies, and nuts. Breakfast has been easy with different sorts of eggs. We miss our pancakes though. Lunch has been a little difficult when packing it. I can't just pack a sandwich. I find myself being creative but also eating because I am hungry and not because I want to be satisfied. Dinner has been pretty easy too. We have been making stirfry, tacos, taco salads, and lots of meat and veggies.
I absolutely love to bake. My biggest challenge on the this diet is trying to figure out what flours to use when baking different things. I have found a pretty good muffin recipe that we like with bananas. My homemade pancakes are still a work in progress. I have used gluten free all purpose flour and brown rice flour. I think they taste pretty good but the girls aren't sold on them yet. My favorite thing that I experimented with are dark chocolate chip cookies. They came out really well and the whole batch was devoured in 2 days. I am having a lot of fun experimenting with different recipes and finding what works best.
To my surprise, I have not really missed my pasta and bread. And I do notice a difference in how I feel. I am not always hungry and looking for something to satisfy me. I have had lots of energy and just feel good.

2 comments:

  1. good thing i read this... was just thinking I was gonna make maya some pancakes as a late bday treat.... not gluten free... but i have started using half whole wheat flour... they re actually great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Is Paul starting to have an influence on you? We have always used wheat and the girls have never known differently until they had yours. But they still ate mine even though yours were better.
    I am experimenting with gluten free flour. I will let you know when I perfect the pancakes!

    ReplyDelete