The Last Day of Kindergarten

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

As a teacher this is such a bitter-sweet time of year. With only 3 more days of school, I know summer is at my fingertips. I can't stop thinking of all the fun I get to have spending time with my family and all of our summer plans. We will spend much of the time outside hiking, exploring, gardening, swimming, running, and playing. I can't wait for no obligation days and picking different adventures!

However it is also time that I say goodbye to 18 smiling faces that I have become attached to. My little kindergartners will graduate tomorrow. Yes, I will still see them next year but it is not the same. I have to let these little guys go. Even though these children are not my real children, I develop such a strong relationship with them over the ten months I have them. These kids really look up to me and we develop such a bond. We share many tears, laughs, smiles, boogers and germs!

At the end of the school year, I feel as if a chapter in my life ends and a new one is about to begin. I always find this time a great time to reflect on myself as a teacher and as a mother. I reflect on how my year went with my class, and what I need to do differently. As I look forward to my summer break, I focus on how I want to spend my precious moments with my own children.

As a teacher having the opportunity to make a difference in so many lives, I hope my students develop a passion for learning and life. I hope they play outside a little more, take care of the earth and take care of themselves. As a mom, I hope my children develop a passion for nature and being outside.I hope they learn to love themselves and respect their bodies and health!

As a teacher and a mom the only way I know to guide these children is by leading by example. Goodbye my sweet kindergartners! Hello summer adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment