Kid Fitness Activity and Recipe- jump rope and bananna almond pancakes

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I read an article in Women's Health recently that compared jumping rope to running. While I was reading it, my 8 year old daughter was sitting beside me, reading over my shoulder. She knows how much I run and how I always try to get her to run with me. She pointed this out and said see mom you should just jump rope with me. It's a better work out.
Kids love to jump rope and the health benefits to it are great! Our school has a jump rope club for the students and many of them jump while at recess. It is a great thing to do independently and with a group of friends. I found that jumping rope for 10 minutes is comparable to running a mile at a 12 minute pace. I think when given the choice, a child would rather jump rope for 10 minutes than join you for a mile run.
With that being said, we got creative with our jumping this week. On Sunday night, we had to cram for my 5 year old's spelling test which included words like should, little, and wanted (that's a different story for a different day). She was really struggling with these words. The last thing she wanted to do was study spelling. So we got the jump rope out and we jumped our spelling words. After jumping each word three times, Maya was able to get all 10 of her words right on her spelling test on Monday. There is research related to the movement and learning. It was validated with this activity.
So this week while your kids want to play outside and ignore their homework, head outside with them, pick up some jump ropes and work on spelling, math, or comprehension. Do it together. 10 minutes will fly by and it would be the same as running a mile!

My recipe this week is one of our favorites for breakfast. The kids beg me for our almond banana pancakes. The kids seem to be satisfied with them and it gets them through until lunch.

2 ripe bananas
2 cups of almond flour
1 cup of milk
1 egg
2 tbs honey
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp  vanilla extract
1 tbs coconut oil

Smash the bananas up in a bowl
add the dry ingredients and mix in the wet ingredients.
Cook like normal pancakes. They pancakes will be crumbly but my kids have never complained!  Serve with fruit.



No comments:

Post a Comment