Sunday, April 13, 2014

It's hard to believe that it has been almost a year since I have written. My passion has actually intensified but I have been torn in so many directions with my other roles and responsibilities. As I was driving home from the gym today by myself, I was able to gather some thoughts and reflect. It was at that time, that I was reminded of this blog and how important health and fitness are to me and for my family. I decided to write tonight and recommit myself to sharing this passion with you.
During that car ride, I felt really good about the workout I just completed as well as the progress I made this week after returning form a cruise where diet and fitness were a tad compromised and had the potential to be destroyed. But most of all, I smiled while thinking about the workouts that my kids joined me in this week. Those were the workouts that stood out in my head the most and were the most enjoyable. At the beginning of the week, I went for a run after dinner. I asked my oldest daughter to join me and she whined and showed zero interest. I convinced her to come (maybe bribed her) and she joined me as my pacer on her bike. We got a couple of miles in while the two younger kids rode their bikes to the pond with their dad. The conversations that occur during these times can not be had at any other times. I refer to it as out family therapy. We are able to get to root causes of behaviors as well as building strong bonds while problem solving. Ella and I talked about why best friends can be so mean at times and Morgan and Maya and Tate talked about signs of Spring and projects to be done. My conversation with Ella ended by comparing the effort needed to ride a bike with the effort it takes to run. Every one returns home with a smile on their face and a new fresh energy. As our days get busier, it is easy for these activities to take a backseat and for us all to get caught up in our own business but setting this time aside is a priority because it is rewarding in so many ways. I find time during the week to give each child one on one attention while being active. Tate and I played airplane and ran to the top of the hill and rolled down while the girls practiced soccer. During this time, Tate and I laughed so hard as we were working on spelling his name. Maya and I shared our time walking the dogs in our neighborhood. Our conversation was centered around our dogs and what a big part of the family they are.
It's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life and do things apart or not be 100% present in the moment. Our family workouts or individual kid/parent workouts have given us the opportunity to not be distracted by anything and to spend quality time together.

I will leave you with my fun Easter workout activity. Put physical activities in plastic Easter eggs. Have an egg hunt and the do the activity found in an egg before moving on to the next. Activities could include things like 5 push ups, 10 squats, 20 bunny hops, burpees, crunches, lunges, and mountain climbers.

A delicious snack to enjoy after are frozen banana bites:
--cut banana into slices
--spread almond butter on top
--top with a chocolate chip
--freeze
--eat straight from the freezer

No comments:

Post a Comment