Run a Mile

Sunday, April 22, 2012

My first experience running was in high school when I joined the cross country running team. I wanted to get involved in sports, I wasn't super coordinated and felt behind everyone else in competitive sports because I really did not have exposure to them. I knew my dad was a marathon runner and even though we never talked about running or ran together, I had that in the back of my head. I remember starting running and it was much harder than I would have ever thought it would be. Pacing was always a challenge. Run your hardest so you don't have anything left at the end but pace yourself so you can still finish strong. And it is just so easy to say you are tired and start walking. Certain things stick in my head from running in high school- As long as only one foot is on the ground, you are running. You can run slower than a walking pace but you can only have one foot at a time on the ground. Singing songs while running. Having a place of peace.
In college, I ran leisurely and really got back into after college. It became my therapy. It was my alone time, my time to clear my head, and my time to challenge myself. When I started to get back into running, I really liked Jeff Galloway's running philosophy and training program. It was gradual and made you feel successful. 
Over the last couple of years my running has refocused again. I now run to run without a purpose but to just enjoy it. I enjoy every step of it. Sometimes they are long, sometimes on trails, sometimes in the neighborhood, and sometimes even on a treadmill. I have introduced running to my kids. I have a few memorable runs. Running with my father is very rewarding for me. He always points out how special it is by saying who knows if we will be able to do this again. Our last run on the beach was probably one of our best conversations ever. Another very special run was the first time, Ella said she was ready to run a loop in the neighborhood with me. We have run several times together since then. It is amazing how she is able to run stride for stride with me. She has tried a few different approaches to running. At first El really liked the sprint and take a break while I caught up technique. Then she agreed that maybe my technique of pacing and enjoying it was better. 
A run with a good friend with no words exchanged is incredibly way to bond. Pushing two kids in a stroller, with one riding her bike next to you in 90 degree weather to just get some exercise. Running with my husband who now can outran me but whined and cried when we walked when we first met. 
I have also been very fortunate to be involved with a program called Kids Running America. We teach kids how to run with many lessons such as goal setting and nutrition. We run with the kids to accrue the mileage of a marathon. This was incredibly rewarding to see kids set goals and achieve them and start to love running. 
My fondest running memories over the last few years involve people of all different ages and abilities. WIth this being said, I encourage you to run with your kids and parents no matter the age. Start with a step, walk more than you run and finally build up to running more than you walk. The American Running Association puts on National Run A Mile Days. This is a great way to introduce running to children. Even if you don't put a formal event on, it is a great week to set a goal of running a mile for kids. Introduce them to running and get them active. 
http://www.runamile.org/become-a-host/

No comments:

Post a Comment