Extreme Couponing for the healthy?

Sunday, August 14, 2011

We get the Sunday newspaper every week. I always look through the coupons and will find a couple of things that are actually healthy that we can buy. The majority of the time, it seems like the same items week after week have coupons and not too many of them are healthy. Lots of canned and processed foods. I know there are ways to get coupons from companies and different websites but it seems like coupons are hard to come by for healthy and non-processed foods.
This afternoon, I watched a bit of Extreme Couponing for the first time. I was amazed! How can you buy $3000 worth of food for $100? What was even more amazing was what she was buying and the time it must take. I can see how watching this can motivate someone to use more coupons and play this game. But as a mother of 30 who takes all 3 children to the grocery store 90% of the time, it just seems like too much work. It also seems like you just start buying things because they are a good deal. Sure I like free things and items on sale but do I really need to turn my garage into a pantry with 5 years worth of laundry detergent?
I am impressed by the hard work and time that these people put into getting the best deals. We all know that the price of food has sky rocketed and takes up the majority of our budget. After watching this, I will strive to find a few more deals and maybe actively look for coupons from manufacturers for healthy foods. However, I will not buy 60 cans of spaghettios because they only cost one cent.
Might I add, while watching this show, Morgan went to the grocery store. I was feeling pretty good because I gave him a handful of coupons and one was even for a free cliff bar. When he got home I looked at the receipt and he spent $55 and save $8. I guess we still have a lot of work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment