Kid Recipe and Activity of the Day

Thursday, April 28, 2011

One of my favorite things to do with the girls is bake. It has been a few years since we switched from white flour to wheat flour. I have looked wheat recipes up and it seems that most recipes still call from some white flour mixed in white the wheat. When I bake, I just substitute the wheat flour for the white flour in the recipe. I don't even think that Maya has ever had white flour besides while out and about getting a treat every once in a while. I am now starting to play around with oat flour too.
We like to make blueberry muffins. I am all about shopping for healthy food but I also try to stay on some type of a budget, When I buy produce, I try to buy what is on sale and in season. We had a few pints of strawberries so I decided to substitute the blueberries for strawberries. Any berry could be used. The girls really liked them with the strawberries.

Best Ever Muffins
1 3/4 cups wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar ( I use a sugar substitute)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup non fat milk
1/3 cup oil
Mix it all together adn then add 1-2 cups of berries. I tend to put more in.
bake 400 degrees for 25 mins

It was a beautiful day out and we spent a lot of it outside.  This year we have dedicated a portion of our yard to the girls to have their own garden. They have a vegetable and flower garden planned out. They are responsible for these gardens.

Activity of the Day
Gardening
The girls pulled weeds and planted peas. I told them for every weed they pulled, I would give them 5 cents. Ella counted by 5's for every weed she picked and earned herself a dollar. She got a little confused and when she got to 100 she thought I owed her 100 dollars. Then they planted 2 rows or peas and watered all of the flowers and trees. We had so much fun playing in the dirt! The girls can't wait to plant some more!

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog!!! Everything you say is something that we as a family find very imporant. I especially love this post though. Averie and I are always talking about the food we eat. Before we put something in our mouth we look at the color and talk about what made it that way (is it something natural or a dye). I love getting her involved in her health and I hope she carries this knowledge with her as she grows up. For several years now we have been seing this amazing nutirionist in Fort Collins. I am such an advocate of overall health, it is so important to me that I bring my entire family to her not just me or my husband. And they have benefited tremendously from seeing her. Averie loves when it is time to see Pati and she gets to talk about what is going on with her and her health.
    I think so often people sell their kids short.

    ReplyDelete