Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle While Traveling

Sunday, April 23, 2017

It may seem impossible to stay on track while traveling but it really is quite possible.

When traveling, I always make sure I pack snacks in a lunch box for on the plane. It always saves me money and ensures that I can fuel my body instead of feeling icky when I arrive at my destination.
Some great snacks to pack on the plane are-
Veggies-snap peas, peppers, carrots
fruit- oranges, bananas, apples- dried fruits
nuts
bars- RXBar, lara bars, kind bars
nut butter packets
deli meat
shake drink mixes


If traveling domestically, you can always search a grocery store near where you are traveling, use grocery deliveries or even amazon fresh delivery. Most hotels will have a mini fridge. I always plan on it. You can use the hot water form the coffee pot to make oat meal, yogurt, almond milk, deli meat, veggies, and fruit are great staples to have.

Eating out
This is where the real challenge comes. No matter how much control you have at home or at the hotel, you can potentially lose it all when you see that menu come your way. You can choose to splurge while eating out and control the rest of the time or you can do your best while out. That decision has to be up to you and you have to know that it truly is a choice. The choice is up to you and you have to be ok with it and not regret it later.
I always strive to do my best when going out. I allow myself some wiggle room and try the best to keep on track. I plan for proteins and veggies. I will stay away from sales and many times order side orders of veggies to go with my meal to make sure I get enough. Burgers without the bun, grilled chicken, steak, seafood and as many veggies as I can get is my generally rule of thumb. I try to stay away from sauces too.

Flying international can be more complicated. I always try to enjoy the local cuisine and foods from that area. Usually portions are going to be smaller. My idea of protein and veggies sticks to while eating out. When traveling internationally, the majority of meals are eaten out. I make sure I am eating throughout the day endnote just saving it for dinner.

And then there is the fitness part. Honestly nutrition is the bigger battle of these two. Chances are that you will be walking and moving quite a bit while traveling. That is a great thing in itself. If you want to stay on track, you can go to the fitness center at your hotel or do online workouts.

Traveling can be the best excuse to completely fall off the wagon, but it doesn't have to be!


Nina Pears

No comments:

Post a Comment